Thursday, November 16, 2006

A posting thingy

Since I last bitched about my computer crapping out it got worse. And I paid a large fee to try to fix it. Now my computer is somewhat more functional, but it still doesn't work the way I want it to. To tell you how bad it is, I'm writing this in IE, not Firefox. Firefox does not want to work with my system anymore. Also, normally I'd be listening to my music right now, but iTunes isn't working on my computer either. I may have fixed the root of the problem for iTunes, but I havn't reinstalled it. I guess I just don't want to think that it may not work if I reinstall it. But I'll get it going soon, I suppose. No reason to not listen to music just because my computer has taken a turn for the worse.

I'm officially burnt out of school now. I've been going four days a week since early July, with only a week long break in the middle. On the up side I should be able to graduate next semester. On the downside, I hate my fucking classes. I found out I have to take two more crap classes, by which I mean low-level classes that are going to teach me what I already know and are going to bring my GPA down because I don't care enough about them to show up for class and do the homework. Mind numbing classes, thats probably a better way to describe them.

I havn't written much in the last couple of weeks. Not just here, but in my own writing. I go through phases with it. Somone came in to give a presentation about something in one of my classes today and he mentioned that he had published a book in high school and he just published another one. Its impressive, no doubt, but there are just those people out there I guess. The thing it got me thinking about is if I'm ever going to really be one of those people that can actually write something and put everything into it and really create something. This person, who was probably about the same age as me, had all ready put the time into creating two books, and I just wondered if I was ever going to have that dedication. Maybe not. I don't know, I'd like to think I do. I hope that I'm just not there yet. I hope that I'll get there.

Lately whenever anyone starts asking me what I want to do after college I tell them that I want to open a comic book shop. I don't know if I ever will open a shop, but it is something that I have thought about doing since I was in junior high. My mom told me that she heard some where that when you have a big commitment sort of idea that you should let it nest inside of you for 9 months and then see if you still want to go through with it. I've wanted to do it for, lets say, 10 years now, so I guess I should have made a decision on it by now. But in reality it was never anything that I could put any serious consideration into until recently. Something about graduation being around the corner got me thinking about it in real terms. Getting a business plan, getting the money, getting a location, getting the comics. Since it seems like a much more possible reality I have decided to give it the nine months that my mom suggested, mostly because I'll still be in college for about six months anyway. I don't know how to really think about it really. I mention it to random people sometimes just to see what sort of reaction I get. Most people seem impressed, or surprised. But mostly positive feedback. So who knows, maybe next year we'll all be hanging out at my shop and I'll be telling you all to buy something or get out.

So since that last paragraph I have reinstalled iTunes, and it is working pretty well, although there is some strange lag going on. I think it will take care of itself in the next few moments. There it goes.

Did you know that Boy scouts have Copywrite Protection Merit Badges now? I wonder if they are trying to institutionalize children? Probably not, maybe its just a coincidence.

If you have some time to relax coming up I would suggest that you pick up a copy of "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon. It is currently in contention for my favorite book, I would need to reread both of them to really decide (my current favorite is Catch-22, which I also suggest everyone reads). On a side note, I just checked on Amazon and they have tons of used copies of Kavalier and Clay as low as $1.37, so you really can't go wrong. Anyway, go forth, read!

3 comments:

Cheb said...

I hear the burned out on school thing. I just got shot down in my first attempt to storm the breach of nursing school, which totally sucks. But that's what happens when 350+ people apply for 40 positions. Just remember that though these classes might suck, at least you get to graduate soon.

Dedication to a thing with no immediate tangible results is hard. We hate interning because we make no money, we stop working out when the flab remains. But in the end, all that drudgery will turn into something positive. And in the case of literary endevors, it's something far more lasting than cash or a firmer stomach. That's something you can really ascribe to your character, something you can hold on to till the end of your days and say, "Yes, I once wrote a book." I think that sorta thing's priceless, even though the getting there is laborious.

Dude, I will totally buy things at your comic book shop. Then go to Olive Garden. And read the things I just bought. Roll a d20 to decide what to order. Cast Charm Person on the waitress. I'll stop now.

Moore said...

Ha, don't forget to calculate your personality modifier into the equation and make a spot check for short waitress whose name I've forgotten when you walk in.

Maturity said...

Yeah, I'd buy a pile of shit from your comic shop too. Thanks to you and Paul, I've found my interest in comics growing and growing. If I knew someone with a connection it might officially turn into... an addiction.

Holy crap! And then like after hours we could do some D&D and REALLY be geeky!