Saturday, July 22, 2006

Nature is Cool

Lightning struck a tree right across the freeway. There was a pretty cool looking ring of fire for awhile. I've never seen lightning strike that close, it was hitting the hills behind TMCC and smoke was raising all around the landscape. We were outside on the stairs watching it, the neighbors were out, they have a little boy, who was the first to see the fire start on the tree, and was scarred out of his mind for a while until his mother, who has blonde hair going down to her butt, comforted him. Later we were watching a terrific magnificant splendid combination of what looked like 7 differnt bolts of lightning, but was probably really just one, all spread out, hit a spot on the other side of the hill. A strange glow of green lit up the crest of the hill, it was beautiful, jumping up I pointed it out yelling "Did you see that?! That was some special effect shit going on over there!"

My point is, Nature is cool.

I was driving from my apartment over to pauls and turned on Bob.FM and the DJ was drunk as a drunk. He was slurring trying to explain something about some sort of thingy going on tommorow. It would have been funny except for it was really just sad. Maybe he wasn't drunk, maybe he's just one of those people that have blown out their brains with decades of drugs and alcohol and now just sounds like that all the time. Like a rock star.

My sister is broke and stuck in europe for a few more weeks. Actually I think she got some money now, somehow. I don't know, she's going to be in so much debt when she gets back, which is augmented by the fact that she is taking out a lot of student loans as soon as she gets back to go to grad school.

I still have to take two or three lower division classes at UNR before I graduate. I really, really don't want to take those classes. I don't know why I can't just take the upper-division courses in the same field, I would much prefer it. I can't stand lower level classes anymore. Their just so basic. I hate basic.

Zaq is talking about going to see a couple of movies tommorow. One is Clerks II, the other is Lady in the Water. So far Lady has gotten pretty universally bad reviews, with even the people who liked it saying "hey, its not great, but, you know, hey, I sort of liked it." Actually that is pretty much what people have said of Clerks as well. But I think the Kevin smithy-ness of it, the zaniness I suppose, makes people on the fence like it rather than dislike it. I'm not sure if its going to be any good, I hope it is. I'm usually pleased with Kevin Smith movies. But I think theres something thats happened where a lot of people have said Kevin Smith is a genius because of Clerks and yet aside from that movie none of his movies are great achievments. I don't think thats a bad thing, I'd love to be known for one really good movie, but in compairing everything evenly to Clerks I we seem to hold kevin smith higher than he really is. Without Clerks he wouldn't have had a career, but since then he hasn't been able to achieve what he had, but I'm okay with that, hes movies are fun, devoid of any real intellectual processes. Things to have to be brilliant to be enjoyable. And the movies are all so differnt from anything else being made, its what sets them apart. A little slapstick, a lot of blue collar comedy, a little bit of philosophy, a lot a bit nerdy. I can't speak to Clerks II yet, but I'm going to think positively of it for now because I think that it will be a movie that really depends on your attitude towards it. If you go in wanting to like you and ready to let the movie just go then you will probably dig it. If you go in with low expectations and not in the mood for the crude humor and what not then you will probably leave feeling it was a bad movie. It's a theory for now, I'll test it out later I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually thought lady in the water was really good, as did other people i talked to that saw it.