Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Soft spoken with a broken jaw

In the last two weeks I have purchased a shit-ton of books for my reading enjoyment. When I bought them I was thinking that I could probably get through most of them before the end of the summer, but looking at it now I don't think thats going to happen, the stack is large and my time is soon to be limited by summer classes. The reason I bought so many was because I thought that it would be smart to get up on my reading before the end of next year. The plan of going into grad school for literature seems to me to be easier if I actually have read a ton of literature, so thats the plan right now. And even if that plans falls through then at least I can be slightly more cultured before I'm out of college.

I don't know why I decided to talk about that just now, I think its because I can't really think of anything else to say at the moment. I got a giant blister on my foot last night and when I first woke up this morning there was a slight pain in my foot and I thought that my foot was trying to communicate something profound with me. Then I woke up a little bit more and realized that it just hurt a bit.

I was reading one of my books and it was talking about the San Fran 1906 earthquake and how it devestated the city and how it was weird that the people there didn't take the hint and just rebuilt everything on the same spot. It went on to talk about in nature an earthquake doesn't exist really because its just a slight shaking that means the earth is restless or something like that. I'm not really doing the author justice by paraprasing it thusly, because he was much better at expressing this point, but I just bring it up so that I can bring up my next point. I don't know much about what happens to trees when earthquakes strike, but it doesn't seem like they go down as fast or hard as buildings, and I got to thinking thats probably because the earthquake would have to literaly rip the roots from the ground. So then I thought of a whole new way of doing archetecture: root systems. Yes, build in an artifical root system to the building, make it out of concrete and wood, and you can be sure that building isn't going anywhere when the next quake strikes.

Now all I need to do is come up with some sort of earthquake resistent pants and I'll be in business.

No comments: