Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Baby Bjork Bjorn

Last night I cleverly drank the rest of the milk so it wouldn't sit in my fridge going bad while I was out of town. Now I am forced to drink coffee with no milk in it, which is like eating pizza with no crust or dough of any kind.

I had to go shopping for some new clothes before heading out to my training and I ended up going to the mall because I didn't want to drive around a lot in the snow. Turns out if you want to avoid holiday shoppers you can just go to the mall during a snow storm. I was virtually alone there. I walked through the food court and every "restaurant" I passed had employees staring at me like I was some sort of mythic figure, sent from above to give them five minutes worth of work to do.

This snow storm is basically cutting a swath across the U.S. As I write this it is hitting Iowa, and its still going. I'm glad I'm heading north instead of east. In the rare big snowstorms that we get in Reno I always get reminded how fucking intelligent the Japanese automakers are. That little Rav4 handles the snow like a pro. Sometimes the brakes make horrible, horrible noises, but thats just from snow getting in the undercarriage and it doesn't really make the brakes stop working. Toyota is my friend. If I had to marry some mega-corporation, it would totally be Toyota *love you*.

My mom gave me some money to buy new clothes for this training thing. She wanted me to get some business-y looking clothes. My problem is that I am a fucking giant. So I got more of an Eddie Bower look going since that was all they had in my size. I actually quite like it. It's all so soft and in simple earth tones. I've been sort of looking for a new look, something other than tattered t-shirts and jeans. This might actually work for me.

I think my computer is infected with the Haunta virus. Or, more likely, something that targets computers. It kept just rebooting when I tried to turn it on this morning, and now its acting like it is running way too many programs even though all I have open right now is Google Chrome, iTunes, and solitaire. I hate it when my computer starts acting weird, it usually ends with me either losing a ridiculous amount of stuff on it or me having to spend money to get someone to go in and manually get rid of some malicious coding that has snuck in there. And if it is a virus I'm sure I got it from going to sites to illegally watch TV shows. This is why shows should learn from Hulu. Don't try to keep stuff off the web, you won't be able to. Just set it up so that people can watch them legitamitely. I'd much rather put up with a few commercials in a show than go to some untrustworthy site to get my TV watching on. It's kind of like Hulu is a legal brothel, like in Nevada. You go there, the girls are STD free, they are safe from pimps and they aren't bothered by the cops. Most of them are probably not doing it to support a drug habit, even. They are just horribly damaged women who don't mind selling sexual favors. These pirate sites, however, are the streetwalkers. Yeah, they'll sleep with you for money, but they are filled with all sorts of horrible things. And if you make a misstep you will be killed by a 6'6" black guy in a fedora and feather boa. This may not be a perfect metaphor.

In about forty five minutes Paul is coming to pick me up to take me to the airport. Cheb is definitely giving me a run for my money on this, the Great Blog-Off of '09. I really hope they have some computers with internet access at the hotel I'll be at. I tried, in desperation, to get my Mac up and running one last time. But it is still totaled. Damn you Orange Soda, Destroyer of Laptops.

I really hope that I can meet some cute little hippy chick up in Oregon this week. I mean, I doubt that I'll be able to have a whirlwind romance, but at least someone to hang out with a couple of the nights and make a few lewd comments to. Perhaps I am setting my goals too low. Still, I remember something from Mr. Habel's psychology class from High School. People with a good sense of themselves and that are confident set goals that they can actually reach. People with low confidence either set their goals so ridiculously low that they are guaranteed to achieve them or they set them so high that if they miss, well, its not like they expected to get to them. He illustrated this by giving us all balled up pieces of paper and telling us to take a shot for a garbage can with it from anywhere in the room. It seemed like a dumb lesson at the time, but it has stuck with me all these years. Hasn't ever really helped me, though, now that I think about it.

This blog is sort of all over the place, but right now I am sort of just killing time. I don't have time to do much else right now. Hulu has some MST3K up right now. I think most of them are Joel episodes, but at least one is a Mike episode. If you have too much free time today (and if you are reading all of this rambling post, I'm guessing you do), that would be an excellent way to waste some of it.

Man, it just occurred to me that today is the first day since April that I've actually been off to do anything related to actually working. And I'm going to be working for a year and a week at least from this point on. I haven't ever worked straight through for an entire year. It was either school or me being sick of the job I had and quiting to look for a better job that has kept me from being in one place for a full year. Of course, with AmeriCorp I can't just quit. I can, however, be let go. I suppose if I can't stand it I can just take a part time job. They kick you out if they find out you are working a second job. Sort of a shitty way to quit, though. Not that I want to, but I always like to have an escape plan.

Well, I am off. See you Friday Reno.

No comments: