Saturday, December 05, 2009

You Are Talking a Bit Rambly, Though

For some reason I am having a hell of a time getting started on this blog. I shall turn on some Rolling Stones. Actually, I think I will go with Wolfmother. Yeah, that is the mother fucking shit right there.

I used to have a playlist on my Mac that was called "Writing Rockshop" that had all my best songs for writing to on it. I'll admit that I didn't really do my best writing while rocking out hardcore inside of Bibo's coffee shop while listening to my rock and roll music, but, fuck, it was way more fun to write about some hapless loser that I had sent on a journey that was doomed for failure (as I think that is the most generic plot I use in writing) while air guitaring and making the hipsters and yuppies wonder if I didn't, perhaps, just have a mental disorder.

I'm switching over to Trans-Siberian Orchestra now. The album "Beethoven's Last Night", not the christmas music. Although it would be seasonally appropriate to listen to the christmas stuff. Trans-Siberian is a pretty awesome fusion of music, you know. They are metal/opera/orchestra/spiritual. The amazing part of that is that they are not crappy. They are amazingly good, actually. Josh was the first person to tell me that I would probably like them. The man has good sense of what I would and wouldn't like, it seems, or he just got lucky that one time.

I've tried, so many times, to write a story incorporating/based on a song from that album, "Mephistopheles Return". I'm not sure I can do it. I'm missing something. I don't really get it. Even though I've tried to write it about 30 times and listened to the song at least ten times more than that. The song speaks to me, but I can't seem to speak back. I will not give up on it, but I can't force it, either. Someday I will have some experience that will put the song in a new light for me, and then I shall write the most rockingly awesome short story based on it. And that short story will likely be read by less than thirty people, but so be it! It's not the number of readers, or the quality of readers, its all about getting it written down and making some poor schmuck read it.

I wanted to write a book of short stories that was all about new American mythology. I have a couple of stories that incorporate corporate logos, hippies, politics, etc. but not enough to fill a book with yet. The problem is that the ones I write that are good just come from some Eureka moment where I have a brilliant idea while I am struggling to think of something to write. And those moments are hard to come by, especially when I allow myself to spend so much time watching Netflix watch instantly. This little blog challenge is actually probably going to be a good shot in the arm for my writing, as I am going to try to post first thing when I get up and that keeps me from getting on the TV for a while, which might, in turn, keep me writing well past the boundaries of this blog. Or that won't happen at all, who knows? Still, its nice to wake up and start writing (and if you are wondering, yes this blog was posted in the middle of the afternoon, I went to bed at 5:30 today, so this is morning for me, okay? geesh.)

I think I am going to go and listening to some of the Trans-Siberian christmas albums for a while and see if I can't write some sort of wholly American christmas story to be included in my likely never to be published collection of short stories. If you, valued reader, have any suggestions for a chirstmas story, let me know, as I spent about a month last year trying to write a christmas story and came up short.

2 comments:

Cheb said...

I just youtubed that TSO song of yours. Holy crap, good luck writing that into a short story.

Moore said...

yeah, it is my Everest