Sunday, December 06, 2009

Pizza Flavored Burrito

Last night I played some poker, and lost quite horribly. Of course, I sort of suicided out of the game because after three hours of seer and logan basically shouting about hipsters my head was ready to explode.

David Bowies Ziggy Stardust just came on my playlist. This song made me think that I was to one day become a huge David Bowie fan, but I have yet to live up to that level of fandom. I am more around the "poser" level of fan for Bowie. I suppose that he was doing his best work before my time, though, so I won't let it get me down too much. David Bowie is pretty freaking awesome though.

Friday was the last episode of "Monk". I'm sort of sad to see it go, but it was probably time. The show was getting so ridiculous in the past few years. Honestly, the writing would often take Monk from being a brilliant detective to being a moronic child within the same scene. The show ended pretty much exactly as I suspected it would with a few surprises. (Spoilers incoming) I suspected for several years that last episode (well, last two episodes it turns out) would deal with finding out who killed Monk's wife and why they did it. Which is exactly what they did. We find out that the nefarious mastermind behind the car bomb that killed Trudy was none other than Coach. That's right, Craig T. Nelson. Mother fucker. And it turned out that Craig and Trudy had had a child together before Monk met Trudy. The death was to cover up the fact that, although Trudy thought the kid was stillborn, she was actually alive and well and living near San Fransisco her whole life. Once Craig T Nelson kills himself after admiting to the whole thing, Monk meets Trudy's daughter and all of a sudden he is a little less concerned with being an obsessive compulsive. I was reading an article on Cracked.com about Mental Illness Myths Hollywood wants you to Believe. The finale of Monk would fall into list number 6, the Instant cure/Magic key cure to mental illness. Monk was seriously disturbed for 12 years, but all he needed was to see Coach shoot himself in the head and meet his dead wifes daughter she never knew she had (who is, more or less, exactly the same as her birth mother)and all of a sudden he is ready to be a normal person again. It seems believable, they don't change him back to a completely normal person. He is willing to wear a different shirt and doesn't mind if some lettering on a box isn't exactly level. Still, he does get a lot better in a very short time even though he's been trying to get better most of his life. I guess it boils down to I want to believe that his life will be a lot better now that everything is figured out for him, but that doesn't mean its really that happy of an ending for him. But I'm going to say that these two episodes that made up the finale were quite good. Compared to other episodes from just this season they were in a different league. If they had been willing to write all their episodes so well they would have had much more interest in that show over the years and I wouldn't seem so strange for liking it so much.

Speaking of cancelled shows, I have watched the first two episodes of the new season of Scrubs. Its on a new network and they stripped the cast back down and added a couple slightly more interesting interns to the mix. It's, surprisingly, not awful. I don't know how long it will stay that way, the first couple seasons of the show were funny, and it just got worse with every season after that. This is sort of a fresh start and they have JD and Turk and Dr. Cox teaching instead of just being doctors. I don't think its ever going to be able to get an audience to rival the Office and Thirty Rock. Maybe it can take on Parks and Rec, although I know a couple people that like that show. And speaking of that block of shows, Community is a pretty solid comedy, I must say. I mean, its not great, and I get a nasty feeling that it won't last. But it does have Chevy Chase in it. And he's all old and weird. If you can find it (and it isn't on Hulu.com anymore) I recommend the Halloween episode, as it is for teh win.

One final show for me to talk about and then I am done with tv talk, I swear. Dexter is nearing the end of the season. John Lithgow is the anti-Dexter this season. He is a much more evil serial killer than Dexter could ever be (sort of, see #2 on that Cracked.com list I mentioned earlier). It's been a pretty good season so far though. Dexter can't keep up with his work, killing, and family, and its created quite a lot of good conflict for him. Of course, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the show is just an expert in being a bit of a sleight of hand magician in making it seem like a hundred things all have to be done by Dexter all at the same time. Shows always want to make it look like there is never any time, but we are seeing one hour out of the life of someone usually over a week or two week long period. People always have more time than they think they do. I mean, most people waste a few hours a day checking emails, chatting on the phone, and talking to other people. If they just made themselves out of contact a few hours a day and communicate at the same times everyday, people will learn how to keep in touch. Apparently we all teach people how to treat us (think about it, do you ever tell the drama queen bad news to her face? do you insist that the hermit comes out with you every time you want to go out drinking?) So you only check email between ten and eleven in the morning, only take calls between one and three in the afternoon (at least work calls) people will be able to get ahold of you and they won't mind having to wait till the next day to get a response for most things. Then all you have to do is make sure that you aren't wasting time doing little things you don't really need to do (watching tv, reading, etc.). I'm not saying make your life all about just getting certain things done, I'm just saying that I've heard the argument from so many people that they would do X but they don't have time. And say its something like going to the gym. You can go to the gym and come back within an hour if you want. Are you telling me that you don't have a single hour out of your schedule doing something that you don't need to be doing? You have time. Due to the "bubble" (the inability for people to contact them most of the time) most U.S. presidents have more free time while serving than they do the rest of their lives. Anyway, Dexter is definitely guilty of making it out like there is no way Dexter can do everything he needs to do during a day. It would be a dull show if he never had any conflicts between work/personal life/killing, but it does get to be a bit of overkill. His whole life is a house of cards, I get that, you don't need to throw it in my face every single week.

Okay, that is enough TV talk for one day. I might need to post another post or two before this day is over since I am still struggling to catch up to Cheb. The rules, as I set them up, are that we can do multiples a day if they are longer than 500 words a piece and on different subjects. So look forward to another post featuring me complaining about things. Hooray! Blogging!

The Score:

Cheb: 29 posts
Mor: 25 posts

No comments: